Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fly Rod & Reel



Recently in the Gierach column my good friend, painted John fishing a small stream
standing atop a beaver dam. Bob's work has inspired me for many years. His paintings have taught my son, Hudson, about fish and fishing. Since Hudson was young we have kept a box full of fish related memorabilia, for Hudson under my desk. Every new issue of Fly Rod and Reel is a chance for Hudson and I to spend some time talking about Bob's latest painting. First we identify the fish or situation of fishing that Bob has depicted. Then Hudson and I will talk about what the fish eat and where they live. Simplistic I know, but at two years old, little guys like Hudson, really get into fish-food, and their houses. We close out the new painting with Hudson's box of crayons and some construction paper. Hudson and I both draw Bob's Picture and hang it on the fridge. The latest cut-out painting form John's column then gets put into Hudson's box along with his fishy-stuff.

This month, when we got our new issue of Fly Rod and Reel, there was an extra special column for Hudson to draw. We walked to the mailbox, for three days in anticipation of the new issue to arrive. When July's magazine finally arrived, Hudson opened the back page to see the painting of John fishing above, but in his small fist, was a picture of his mommy. This month there would be two pictures put into his fishy box, one painted by our friend Bob & photograph of his mother, used as inspiration for the painting. Hudson has no idea how famous John is or really that Bob is the painter who fills his box of memories, but he did know one thing, "Mommy sure looks funny with a beard and white hair."

If you would like to see more of Bob's work please visit Whitefish Studios. Bob is not only one of the most talented artists I've ever met, he sincerely maybe one of the finest human beings I've ever had the privilege to call my friend. Please visit his site, take a look over the hundres of paintings he's produced. Those images represent memories, I can't tell you how humbling it is to be a part of one of them.

Aaron

1 comment:

CoreyK said...

Nice dude ... Saw that when it came out a couple weeks ago! Very cool.